Friday 11 May 2007

Does my head look big in this?


I initially had heard about this book quite a while ago, I can’t remember where as it struck me as one of those teeny bop type books, those ones that you read when your like 14 (sleepover club?!) so I laughed silently to myself at the title and never gave It another thought. Then the other day my cousin (12 year old) was at our house and she was reading it so I borrowed it off her and thought I’d give a try.

At first my initial thoughts seemed to be accurate, the first few chapters were just like any other teenage melodrama with the usual clichés about parents, school, peer pressure blah blah blah. But I persevered, and as each character’s storyline deepened the book grew on me, in fact I think Randa Abdel-Fattah has done a good job in portraying your typical Muslim personalities. You’ve got the parents who think marriage is the sole purpose of their daughter’s life, the family that yearn to belong to the country they live in so much so that they come up in a rash when their home country is even mentioned. The brother who does drugs, messes about with girls yet wants his sister to be locked up at home and so the lists goes on. In fact the story has many layers and Fattah has tossed and turned until the right combination has been reached, you have your typical teenage problems (crushes, weight issues, bullying), Muslim issues (wearing a hijaab, how we don’t date) and cultural issues. The author also does a good job of clearing up many misconceptions and myths people hold about Muslims for example the whole cultural/religious clash between marriages and girls being “forced” to wear hijaab. As expected of most Muslim related books nowadays it also covered the whole terrorist issue which I think was done with sensitivity and poignancy.

I think this is one of the first books of its kind which shows the life of a western Muslim teenager in a humorous yet thoughtful way. However I think it is mostly aimed at teenagers, and as I have a few extra years of wisdom than the intended audience it didn’t have that “wow” factor in terms of its storyline. To me it was just an entertaining read with quite a few laugh out loud moments and several thought provoking instances. I think if I had read it at high school perhaps it would had a bigger impact on me, also I would recommend it to non-Muslims purely as it is a lighter way of gaining knowledge of Islam which is needed in this day and age!

A few choice quotes


"I’d rather follow God’s fashion dictates than some ugly solarium-tanned old fart who’s getting by on a pretty self serving theory of less is more when it comes to female dress"

"Putting on a hijab isn’t the end of the journey. It’s just the beginning of it"

"Sometimes it’s easy to loose faith in people. And sometimes one act of kindness is all it takes to give you hope again "

15 comments:

YMiss said...

OMG! I didn't get this book for the exact same reason, thought I was too old for it. Your review has persuaded me otherwise.

xx

Anonymous said...

i love this bok so far

Anonymous said...

This book is cool

Anonymous said...

If anyone see's this comment i honestly recommend this book "Does my head look big in this?".

Anonymous said...

coming from an islamic primary school/middle school, everyone was reading this book in year 7 and 8 :|
i chose not to because i thought it was just another stereotypical whingy teen pile of sod until i actually gave it a go at my new school for an english essay, and i can safely say i absolutely LOVED it :)

it had a great storyline and the more i read it the more i think i have in common with amal, except for the hijab wearing part. :P

Anonymous said...

i was made to read this book for english and at first my racist side came into it and my thoughts were "great i have to read a book about a chick in a head scarf" but it has opened my eyes a bit and i actually love it !!!! its deffinatly at the top of my book list now!!!

Anonymous said...

this book is absolutely incredible! im a teenager, so ofcourse i could totally relate. i love Amal's (main character's) personality. she is outgoing yet thoughtful. she's the wittiest person i've ever read about. i was able to feel everything she felt while reading. it was like the book came to life! it is definitely on the very tip top of my Top 5 Favorite Books List! PS: I'm a Muslim too :)

Ahmed said...

What page number for the qouts

Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your justatemporarymeasure.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://magic-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://magic-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend Jennifer

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your justatemporarymeasure.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

Anonymous said...

Many a times it happens that you pick it up depending on the next turn, you must
assess how much of a lifetime with Superb Audio and Video
Game Testing. But now the requirements of games which can be faulty or not.
The websites offers different engaging ways
to show that you are able to also. Angry Birds SpaceAngry Birds Space is the requirement of all gamers.
Data services on mobile phones manufacturers now offer much bigger revolution.

my web page - plague inc. cheats

yanmaneee said...

louboutin shoes
jordan retro
louboutin outlet
yeezy boost 350
nike air force 1
valentino shoes
yeezy boost 350 v2
fitflop sale
kyrie 4
kyrie irving shoes

shayslout said...

replica bags nyc replica bags on amazon replica bags on amazon

teenooth said...

Plus d'astuces Dolabuy Fendi essentiels https://www .dolabuy.co visiter le site dolabuy gucci

sheaul said...

you can check here more additional info Celine Dolabuy web Continue Reading